Saturday, August 15, 2009

Can't access various websites?

I can no longer access various websites (e.g. www.notabene.com) with my desktop computer, neither with Firefox nor with IE 7. Whenever I try I always get a message saying the site is temporarily unavailable, but it is never available, even days later. I am running Windows Home XP with the Windows firewall and with AVG's free antivirus program. I used to be able to access this website in the past. I tried disabling Ad Muncher, which eliminates banner ads, and also the firewall, but I still couldn't access the sites. I can get them on my notebook computer, though, connected to the same home wireless network.



Can't access various websites?bmw



I clean my Browser Cache once a week whether it needs it or not. A large cache often causes this problem with accessing sites.



IE 6:



Tools%26gt;Internet Options%26gt;General tab%26gt;Delete Cookies, Files (check mark the box for OFFline Content in the window that appears) and Clear History buttons.



IE 7:



Do as above and in the General Tab go to the Delete button in the Browsing History area. In the new window delete the above items.



Since I don't use Firefox I can't tell you how to clean its cache.



Can't access various websites?free adware remover



You could also check your DNS server setting. DNS looks up the name of the website to get the exact IP address. Check the laptop by double clicking on the network icon(for the network you are using)and clicking properties. In the box scroll down and click on the TCP/IP. Then click Properties. Go down to dns server, the numbers here will be needed to be copied to the other pc in the same location. This might be the address of your router, dsl/cable modem, or an outside server named in the dsl/cable modem configuration page or manual.

No comments:

Post a Comment